Thursday, February 9, 2012

Update on a few of my ongoing projects

Just an update on a few of my projects.

I have decided to go with MODx Revolution for the new site. I looked at several CMSs but they just wouldn't be easy to do what I needed.

I have developed my new look for the site and begun work on the meeting room management system. This is being done with the xPDO php framework and ext.js 3.4. Those two were selected by virtue of being provided  as part of MODx and being the recommended way to create a custom module.

xPDO I love. It makes it very easy to interact with the database as opposed to writing custom php for every query and update. Later I may look at doing a little project using just xPDO without the MODx system, just for the chance to play with it more.

Ext.JS I'm less enthusiastic about. It's a javascript UI framework and it does produce some pretty results. However, after using it for a couple of months I'm still relatively in the dark about how it works. I can take an example and modify it enough to get the result I want, but it's still more like plugging in new values for a variable than programming.

We're starting our annual video series earlier this year which will grow to take up a large portion of my time I'm sure.

Also in the hopper, is a set of tutorial videos for our OverDrive service and software. I have most of my screen cast recorded, now I just have to go back and add captions and narrations. I'll post the videos here as I finish them, in addition to on the website at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment